The God who sees ME

The God who sees ME

El Roi is my favorite name of God because it means the God who sees. He sees me. He wants to have a relationship with me and wants to know every detail of me life even though He is KING of the Universe. He is so good to me. He is my Lord and Savior. Nothing shall separate me from His love. He is All that I need and MORE!


Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Centurion's Faith


Matthew 8:5-13 & Luke 7:1-10
This common passage about the Centurion and Jesus struck me today. It screamed out in rhema's and passages to underline. In my bible, I underline interesting things in either orange or blue. Now these ten verses are coated in orange pencil. I do not think I had ever read the same account in the gospel of Luke, which is probably why it struck me differently.

Jesus had just finished speaking to the people and was coming into the fishing village of Capernaum. The village is located on the northwestern shore of the sea of Gallilee. As Jesus entered, there came a Centurion who had heard about Jesus and how He healed. This Centurion had a beloved servant that was paralyzed, in a lot of pain, and near to death. He beseeched Jesus on behalf of the servant. Jesus graciously answered this frantic plea with "I will come and heal him." The Centurion was stunned and so grateful that this healer would come to heal his servant. Humbled, he said that he wasn't worthy of Jesus even coming to his house.

I love the fact that he could have had a lot of "pride" because of his position in the army but he HUMBLED himself by calling him Lord and respectfully admitting is unworthiness. Then the Centurion continued on and replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” This Centurion probably command 80-100 men, so he knew what it was like to BE authority and BEING UNDER authority.

Jesus responded in wonder at the Centurion's faith, that He had not found such great faith in Israel. Then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee." As Jesus spoke those words, the servant was HEALED. When the centurion returned to his house he found the servant was whole.

This story couldn't be complete with one last insert. In my bible, there is is a cross reference to Matthew 27: 54, which is the reference to when Jesus was crucified. We open up to the middle, the centurion and others that were with him, guarding Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, "Truly this was the Son of God." At this moment the centurion was changed. From his earlier words with Jesus, he had believed that Jesus was the Son of God. But when he standing there, hearing the last words of Christ, he realized that Jesus IS TRULY the Savior! Because of Jesus, the centurion was forever changed into a new man.