The God who sees ME

The God who sees ME

El Roi is my favorite name of God because it means the God who sees. He sees me. He wants to have a relationship with me and wants to know every detail of me life even though He is KING of the Universe. He is so good to me. He is my Lord and Savior. Nothing shall separate me from His love. He is All that I need and MORE!


Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Gospel Engine


The Gospel Engine

     Just as a car needs an engine so the gospel has an engine. Christians are the vehicles of God. He uses them to take the gospel to the world. It is one thing to know a lot of scripture or do Christian things, but it is another thing to have the car working. The experience may be that the car does not turn on, but is that really accurate to base the gospel on the experience that happened? God’s Word is completely true and accurate and there is no fault in it. So when it says Christians are more than conquerors through Him, that is true. When it says Christians can receive strength when they are ready to faint, it means that. So how does this become a reality and where’s the engine?

     Hudson Taylor was a man of great faith and strength in his relationship with God. Some would think he had this his whole life, but actually he struggled and wrestled in till he found the secret. He shares this secret in a letter he wrote to his sister. I’ll quote parts of it. “As to work, mine was never so plentiful, so responsible, or so difficult; but the weight and strain are all gone. The last month or more has been, perhaps, the happiest of my life; and I long to tell you a little of what the Lord has done for my soul. I do not know how far I may be able to make myself intelligible about it, for there is nothing new or strange or wonderful - and yet, all is new! In a word: ‘Whereas I was blind, now I see.’”
     “I felt the ingratitude, the danger, the sin of not living nearer to God. I prayed, agonized, fasted, strove, made resolutions, read the Word more diligently, sought more time for retirement and meditation - but all was without avail. Every day, almost every hour, the consciousness of sin oppressed me. I knew that if I could only abide in Christ all would be well, but I could not. I would begin the day with prayer, determined not to take my eye from Him for a moment, but pressure of duties, sometimes very trying, constant interruptions, often very wearing, would case me to forget Him. Then one’s nerves get so fretted in this climate that temptations to irritability, hard thoughts and sometimes unkind words are all the more difficult to control. Each day brought its register of sin, failure, and lack of power. To win was indeed present with me, but how to perform, I found not.”
     “I do not think I was striving to attain it in my own strength. I knew it was powerless. I told the Lord so, and asked Him to give me help and strength and sometimes I almost believed He would keep and uphold me. But on looking back in the evening, there was sin and failure to confess and mourn before God. All the time I felt assured that there was in Christ all I needed, but the practical question was how to get it out. He was rich, but I was poor; He was strong, but I was weak. I knew full well that there was int he vine, in the root, the stem, abundant fatness; but how to get into my puny little branch was the question.”

     “As gradually the light dawned on me, I saw that faith was the only prerequisite to laying hold of His fullness and making it my own. But I had not this faith... I strove for it, but it would not come; I tried to exercise it, but in vain. Seeing more and more the wondrous supply of grace laid up in Jesus, the fullness of our precious - my helplessness and guilt seemed to increase. Sins committed appeared but as trifles compared with the sin of unbelief which was their cause, which could not or would not take God at His word, but rather made Him a liar!”

     “When my agony of soul was at its height, a sentence in a letter from dear McCarthy was used to remove the scales from my eyes, and the Spirit of God revealed the truth of our oneness with Jesus as I had never seen it before. McCarthy, who had been more exercised by the same sense of failure, but saw the light before I did, wrote (I quote from memory): ‘but how to get faith strengthened? not by striving after faith, but by resting on the Faithful One.’”

     “As I read I saw it all! ‘If we believe not, He remains faithful.’ I looked to Jesus and saw (and when I saw, oh how joy flowed) that He had said, ‘I will never leave you’ ‘Ah here is rest!’ I thought. ‘I have striven in vain to rest in Him. I’ll strive no more. For has He not promised to abide with me - never to leave me, never to fail me?”

     “The sweetest part, if one may speak of one part being sweeter than another, is the rest which full identification with Christ brings. I am no longer anxious about anything, as I realize this; for He, I know is able to carry out His will, and His will is mine. It makes no difference where He places me, or how. That is rather for Him to consider than for me; for in the easiest positions He must give me His grace, and in the most difficult His grace is sufficient.” 

    “All this springs from the believers oneness with Christ. And since Christ is now living in my heart by faith, how happy I have been! I now believe that I am dead to sin. God reckons me so, and tells to reckon myself so. He knows best. All my past experiences may have shown that it was not so; but I dare not say it is not, when He says it is. I feel and know that old things have passed away. I am capable of sinning as ever, but Christ is realized as present as never before. He cannot sin; and He can keep me from sinning.”

     “Faith, I now see, is the ‘substance of things hoped for’ and not mere shadow. It is not less than sight, but more. Sight not only shows the outward forms of things; faith gives the substance. You can rest on substance; you can feed on substance. Christ dwelling in the heart by faith (i.e. faith in His word of promise) is power indeed, is life indeed. And Christ and sin will not dwell together; nor can we experience His presence with love of the world or carefulness about ‘many things’”

     “Nor would we look upon this experience these truths, as only for the few. They are the birthright of every child of God, and no one can dispense with them without dishonor to our Lord. The only power to for deliverance from sin or for serving the Lord is Christ.”

     I had to include parts of this powerful letter because he truly found the engine to the car and found the secret. This was such an encouraging letter for me to see how a man struggled with the same thing so many of us have struggled with, yet He found the Truth. That Truth wasn’t hard or complicated but simply reckoning what He’s done and focusing on Him. He said that Jesus was always faithful. That is so relieving to me. You mean I do not need be in striving for faith? All I need to do is rest in the Faithful One.