The God who sees ME

The God who sees ME

El Roi is my favorite name of God because it means the God who sees. He sees me. He wants to have a relationship with me and wants to know every detail of me life even though He is KING of the Universe. He is so good to me. He is my Lord and Savior. Nothing shall separate me from His love. He is All that I need and MORE!


Sunday, January 10, 2016

Character Built by Responsibility

Kimberly Krause
Professor Joan Bruckwicki
ENGL 1301.071
January 6, 2016
Character Built by Responsibility 
The process of learning begins the day a baby comes into the world and does not end until death. The rate of development for each child depends on the personal responsibility and interest that is taken in learning. Society recognizes education as one of the essentials of life and the law requires school attendance until the age of 16. Within the last sixty years, college has become an expectation. More recently, homeschooling has become popular and also meets the standards of state accredited schools. The standard for education generally includes mathematics, reading, English, science, foreign language, and history. One of the great strong points of homeschooling is that the individual can learn at his own pace and study more extensively what interests him. 
I was homeschooled and definitely benefited from being able to move at my own pace and to study what interested me. There are definite pros and cons with this form of education. If a student does not take personal responsibility in learning, he risks being incompetent in many areas. I experienced this in the subject of math. While I loved the equations and readily completed problems, my downfall was word problems. I would skip word problems because translating the words in a math equation was hard for me. On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed Spanish. This caused me to apply myself, even exceeding the required homework. 
Math was one of those subjects where I frittered my time away in high school. I thought that if I got through it, I would never have to return to the dreaded subject of math. However, now that I have begun college, I realize how my laziness has affected my performance. I had to go back to elementary and high school level math and restudy how to do basic word problems like probability and ratios. I was tutored in math each week, but I felt like a five year old because these concepts were hard for me. If I would have applied myself more, I would have had the necessary tools to grasp these concepts and get better grades. 
Spanish was complete opposite for me. I saw the value of knowing a second language and enjoyed learning and communicating with people. I took lessons for a few months, then I improved by reading, listening, and talking with Mexican friends. Mainly, I just took the opportunities to speak with whomever I could and learned very interactively. The years of study have brought great benefit in my life and in others. One year ago, I had the opportunity to translate for a missions trip. I have since become more responsible after witnessing a practical way of how personal responsibility benefited my life.
Growing up the way I did has taught me to take study and coursework more seriously than many students I have met in college. Perhaps the difference is having a goal in mind before pursuing college. I also believe the work-hard mentality I grew up with have caused my expectations of my own academic achievements to be high. I have seen both negative and positive outcomes based on how I treat my responsibilities. If I had been more faithful in math, I would have been able to take the time I spent relearning concepts and use it more efficiently. Alternately, had I taken a mediocre approach in my Spanish class, I would never have been able to be the mouth piece of so many.

Through my experience of relearning some things from high school, I have been guilty of blaming others for my lack of motivation. I felt that my math teacher did not tap in to my learning style. I felt that it was his responsibility to engage me and inspire me to learn more. In reality it was my own lack of discipline and initiative in school that made it hard to catch up. My education is my responsibility. I have the responsibility to take what I have been given and learn. I cannot blame someone else when I am not willing to do what it takes to succeed. There will be hard things in life to be challenged by, but that is what makes the well-earned results so significant. Taking the opportunities given will not only equip a person with many talents, but will also build life long character.